Monday, May 10, 2010

And the weekend has started

I have two weekends left in China, as i fly out on the 3rd weekend, back to the US. I actually toyed with the idea of extending my stay for one more weekend, but how close could I cut it to my daughter's graduation? I get home the saturday before her Wednesday graduation, so i don't think i can cut it any closer...

Even though i have been shopping since i got here, i still have more souvenirs to get. It seems that everytime i think i am done, i remember someone else, and of course, it's always someone that would kill me if i got home without a souvenir for them. I would never hear the end of it. So I decide to forego anymore weekend trips, and just dedicate these two last weekends to getting the remaining souvenirs, and anything else in China, I might want to bring home for myself.

My plan to sleep in on Saturday morning was soon thwarted, as the trip my boss and i planned to the seamstress was earlier than i thought...she was picking me up at 8:30... No problem... at least i will get to sleep a hour later....Since i would be coming back to the hotel after the trip the seamstress, and before the real shopping, i didn't put much thought into dressing for breakfast...so i donned a tank top and shorts...uummmh....I can just imagine the stares, as so far, i haven't seen any chinese women with shoulders and legs bare... they are always wearing sleeves, and tights, opaque tights/pantyhose no doubt, even with short shorts...apparently they either don't mind or don't care, if the top of their panty hose is visible or not....perhaps i should educate them?..haha.... I make my way to the hotel restaraunt, and as expected, the staring is on... Oh well, I am used to it by now, as just being me, causes them to stare.... I actually showed the chef how to
make my omelette, as i was not in the mood for another runny one.... I know he wont' forget next time.... I get done breakfast with 15 mins to spare, but then my boss calls and she is already downstairs... I donned my long skirt, as i need to be able to try on pants when i get there, and i don't remember seeing a fitting room....

We arrive 5 mins before the building opens, and there is a crowd already. 5 mins later, we are in the store... It's quite an undertaking making it to the 6h floor to the seamstress, not because of the crowd, which there isn't, we just can't seem to bypass the merchandise... so we spend 45 mins buying makeup and facial products... While we are browsing, the sale staff is having their morning meeting, which concludes with an exercise session, complete with music and dancing... this is fun, i have joined in the dancing... lol...




Ok...we have 45 mins to go, as my boss has to be home by 10.. we get to the seamstress, and i try on my jeans, with the heels i brought...the seamstress marks where it should be shortened... I show her the linen pants i brought to use as a
sample for the one i ordered few days back... She says i have to pay extra to make the legs wider, as it's more fabric... she says 30RMB, i say 20RMB....and she laughs and sayscheap...YUP, that's me...lol... It's costing me 15RMB to cut the jean...that's $2!!! In the US, it would cost me like $20... I wish i had brought more stuff to be altered....ah...next trip.....I can't seem to get away...now i am
ordering a jacket..in navy blue.... ..I swear...i am addicted.... Wednesday is my pickup date...It's almost 10, so we have to leave....but not before the ladies near the elevator, the ones that made me the traditional chinese dress, try to interest me in some silks... I have the driver explain to them that i will be back...

No comments:

Post a Comment