Monday, May 10, 2010

Heading to Beijing

The timing couldn't have been better... It's May 1st..Labour Day in China... which means 3 day weekend..what better time to go touring in Beijing..Or so i thought... my chinese coworkers quickly set me straight... it's the worst time to go, as it's going to be crowded... Not wanting to pass up the 3 day weekend, i decided to stick to my original plan..
My flight leaves at like 7;30, so i get a ride straight from the office to the airport... Checkin close 30 mins before departure, and they are serious with their time, so i rather sit in the airport, than be late, and miss my flight...Thankfully, i flew with my coworkers last weekend, so i knew how to navigate my way around the airport...There are tons of chinese airlines...The monitor overhead scrolls with the check in counter information, based on your airline... China Air is 38 - 41. You do have to pay attention to the line you are in, and move when it moves, as the natives are so unorderly, and have no problems just jumping in front of you.. They are so used to 'bungling up' and pushing their way through, but mi deh yah fi dem today.... Most in lines have boxes sealed with duct tape, some boxes coated in a layer of clear tape...bags taped up...nothing refined about them luggage...

All checked in, and going through security... Same problem... pay attention or you will be in line forever...Somehow i always seem to get the electronic wand pat downn...i strike the pose, and enjoy the special attention... All done, and early, so i stop in the coffee shop... Weird coffee shop, as the also sell Chinese soup and noodles... I kid myself into thinking i am enjoying the coffee.... I guess it was more the warm liquid that i needed to combat the cold temperature...

I am off to my terminal and my flight is boarding...this sure is a short runway... a bus? Did i make a wrong turn...naw, there was no turns... i checked with a stewardess and yes, i am on the right bus... Please don't tell me i am being bussed to Beijing...It seems like we are waiting forever for the rest of the passengers keeping coming one by one... Why can't we just leave them? We are finally moving, and please tell me, we are on our way to meet a plane... Yup... there's the plane.... For the first time, i am like in the first group...oh wait, the part she tears off is missing, so she hands me back my boarding pass... Now everyone else is going infront of me, and i can't find the missing part. Darn it! I keep telling her that is all i have, and she keeps taking other passengers... It dawns on me to look in my purse, and i found it...must have came apart when i tucked the passport in the pocket... Back in business... on the plane now...

I approach my aisle, and look up just in time to see the pillsbury dough boy i am sitting beside touch his girlfriend and point to me. I have had enough of this staring, so my face is sour now, and i am fuming. I stare him dead in the face... The girlfriend is trying to be discreet. Then from behind, his mom or someone tives him a cell phone, and maybe it's just my imaginatin, but he is fumbling, as if he is trying to sneak and take my picture. Oh hell no...all hell is about to break loose, as if he takes my picture, i am taking his. I don't stop staring at him, so he is uncomfortable now, and the whole time i am still standing. I finally sit, and keep watching him and the camera....I think he got the message... As soon as the plane takes off, he gets up to go to the bathroom... I just sit there and don't even budge...until i feel like giving him way... 2 minutes later he is back...and i roll my eyes, utter some choice words, and he says 'I am so sorry'....I bet u he dont' get up for the remainder of the flight...

The rest of the flight is uneventful and i arrive in Beijing like 1 1/2 later... Get a cab to the Crowne Plaza, which is right across from the Bird's nest stadium... Can't wait to get to my room... She can't find my reservation, so i give her the confirmation letter. Despite my calling, and having my chinese coworker calling, my reservation still got cancelled, as i didn't check it by 5.. This is all thanks to booking through the company's travel tool..This really sucks, as there is also no messages from the tour guide, who i am sure called and was told that i cancelled..Someone else comes over to help, and few minutes later, i am on my way to my room, on the Executive floor... Sure enough, i have a phone message from the travel agent...tour guide can't find me, so they can't pick me up and tour is nonrefundable... I call her back, and she says to check my email for contact information.. Thank God, i always walk with my computer... few phone calls later, it's a done deal.. i am being picked up at 7:30.... I like this room... chaise, couch, king bed, desk... i could see being here for days.... I am tired and need to get some rest... long day ahead tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment